- Approximately 6 Million men in the US have some form of depressive disorders. Although these illnesses are highly treatable, many men do not recognize, acknowledge, or seek help.. Over 2 million of them are not in any treatment or therapy.
Many men feel:
Expressing fear, hurt or sadness is a sign of emotional weakness.
Feelings are not to be trusted.
Denial, avoidance and refocusing are the best coping mechanisms. (Source: Family Resource)
- Major depressive disorder is twice as revalent in women than in men.
- Women between the ages of 25-44 are most often affected by depression with a major cause of depression in women being the inability to express or handle Anger.
- About 23% of U.S. adolescents are diagnosed with clinical depression each year and over 37% are not in treatment (2008)..
- In 2007, suicide was the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24.
- Over 90% of suicides are committed by persons with depressive symptoms.
DIVORCE & PREMARITAL COUNSELING
- Premarital counseling can reduce divorce rate by 30%.
- Research showed a 79% improvement in all marital outcomes for couples who receive premarital counseling
- 2/3 of married couples do not seek counseling before divorcing.
- 25% of Americans over 18 have been divorced.
- There were fourteen suicides in 2010 as a result of bullying.
- Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University.
- According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of bullying.
References: Bullying Statistics: http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/. National Institutes of Justice: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/. National Institutes of Mental Health: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1NHANES.shtml. Family Resource: http://www.familyresource.com/lifestyles/mental-environment/why-grown-men-dont-eat-quiche-or-go-to-counseling. New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/sports/football/14eagles.html?_r=1. Obrien, S. (2010). CNN: Black in America 2. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/black.in.america/. Carroll, J.S. & Doherty, W.J. (2003). Evaluating the effectiveness of premarital prevention programs: A meta-analytic review of outcome research. Family Relations, 52, 105-118. Stanley, S.M., Amato, P.R., Johnson, C.A., & Markman, H.J. (2006).Premarital education, marital quality, and marital stability: Findings from a large, random household survey. Journal of Family Psychology, 20, 1, 117-126.